Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Toasted Coconut Cake

"Toasted Coconut Cake" -- oil on canvas 6x6"

My friend Pete Peterson brought this over on Good Friday.  I believe he said it was from Moka, a great little cafe in Central Lake, Michigan.  He knows coconut cake is my #1 favorite.  Although untoasted coconut cake is really my favorite by far.  And I never make it.  One time Pete made me one, totally from scratch, starting with the actual coconut.  It was to die for!

In reality, this slice of cake had one bite out of it.  I had to taste it before I could paint it!  It was good, but not as good as the one Pete made for me.  And the phone kept ringing.  And unexpected visitors dropped by.  Your basic chaos.  I finished the painting, eventually, and took it out to set under the bird feeder (the cake, not the painting!).  There was a poor, wild turkey hen scrounging around for fallen sunflower seeds and I thought she'd enjoy a slice of cake.

Apparently she was unimpressed.  The cake sat there.  So I scooped it up and gave it to the chickens.  They love me.

1 comment:

  1. I believe Moka is in Bellaire Michigan.
    Great place though.
    Chickens :)

    ReplyDelete