Monday, February 15, 2010

"Norwood Beach, 4 PM, 2/13/10" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas -- 9x12" -- Margie Guyot

Doesn't this scene look like something a polar bear would be seen in, roaming around? I loved the way the open water reflected the pale viridian hue of the sky. And the snow was reflecting the pale violet-gray tones of the clouds.

Notice the odd olive-tone of the distant water on the horizon? That's the way it was. Very strange. Usually the water at that distance is a very deep blue-ish/brownish color. Go figure. Hey -- I just paint 'em as I see 'em. That's the Leelanau Peninsula in the distance.

The ice was about 3 feet thick where I was standing (I think, anyway). I wasn't worried about breaking through. Even if I did, I figured the water wouldn't be more than waist-deep at that point. I could hear the ice moaning all around me. Moaning is OK -- cracking sounds isn't!

There was a buildup of ice chunks in front of me that I'd have liked to have set up on, but it was super-slippery. Maybe I should buy a set of those new cleats that you screw into your boot soles. I did order a new pair of Pac boots (said to be good up to minus 100 degrees Farenheit). Maybe I'll put cleats on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment