Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sunflower Field

"Sunflower Field" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas 8x16" -- Margie Guyot


This is the first time in the 5 years I've been up here that I made it to this sunflower field while they still looked good!  I'd always get here when the yellow petals had fallen, shriveled, to the ground and it looked dismal.  So it was kind of exciting to finally get here at the right time! 

This field is one of several, just north of Traverse City, MI, along US 31.  As my friend, Al Maciag, and I painted, several cars stopped to snap photos of the field. 

See the blue haze on the distant hill?  A sign of humidity rising.  And yes, it certainly is humid up here!  The day we painted, the temperature soared into the 90's.  Al and I both wear hats while we paint and we both use BestBrellas to shade our palettes and canvases.  Still, it was sweltering.  From here, we crossed 31 over to the west side, where there was an old barn and hay bales.

No comments:

Post a Comment