Saturday, June 11, 2011

Iris

 "Iris - Peking Summer" -- oil on canvas 6x6"

 "Iris - Honkey Tonk Blues" -- oil on canvas 6x6"
 
 "Iris - Stairway to Heaven #1" -- oil on canvas 6x6"
 
 "Iris - Good Show #1" -- oil on canvas 6x6"
 
 "Iris - Stairway to Heaven #2" -- oil on canvas 6x6"
 
 "Iris - Good Show #2" -- oil on canvas 6x6"
 
With the arrival of tourist season up here, we artists have been a flurry of activity, varnishing, framing, schlepping paintings hither and yon to galleries, and I had fallen behind on my blog posts!  These are the latest paintings I've done this past week.  A friend had called me on Monday, asking if I'd like to join her and a couple other painters at the Iris Farm, west of Traverse City.  So glad I went!

It was like stepping into Heaven!  Not only was it beautiful -- acres and acres of beautiful flowers in every color, but the smell was wonderful.  Sunny and perfect!
 
Before painting, I took an order form and walked around, picking out varieties I wanted to buy.  I ended up with 13, although I'd have loved to have one of everything.  
 
It was pretty hot: about 90.  So I only painted 1 little 6x6" there (the "Peking Summer").  I cut stems from the other varieties and brought home to paint in my cool studio.  I'd cut 4 but it looks like only 3 would open. 
 
The iris were unlike any I'd seen before: huge and many were very ruffled.  I'm so used to seeing older varieties.  Iris that somebody's great grandmother brought over, very small and unadorned.  So it was pretty exciting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment