Monday, March 8, 2010

"Spring Thaw -- My Driveway" -- plein air field study -- oil on stretched canvas -- 9x12" -- Margie Guyot

After days and days of driving all over, schlepping paintings hither and yon, playing gigs on my sax, I finally had a day I didn't have to go anywhere. So glad to stay home! I carried my Soltek easel down the driveway and set up to paint this view. What struck me as most interesting were the patterns of gravel exposed in the melting snow. And the shade cast from the red pine trees (unseen, on the right).

As I painted, my 3 cats hung close by, exploring and keeping an eye on "mommy".

This was the first time in months that I did not have to wear my heavy down coat. It was relatively balmy, up to around 40 degrees. Although I'll miss painting the ice pileups on Lake Michigan, I must admit I'm happy for spring to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment