Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cantaloupe

"Cantaloupe" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas -- 12x24" -- Margie Guyot

This was painted entirely outside last Sunday afternoon.  So -- although it's a still life, done "in the plain air", yet not a landscape --  can I still call it a "field study"?  Good question.  I've just been in a "fruity mood" lately and wanted to paint cantaloupe, doggone it!  That's a very shiny purple cloth the cantaloupe halves were set on.  I did this out on my patio table on one of our rare sunny days.  Well, it was more like "sunny for a couple hours" type day.  Didn't know if I could pull it off, but hey -- nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My chickens got to eat it when I was finished.  I used to love cantaloupe, but developed an allergy to it.  Boo-hoo!

If you could look very closely at this painting, you'll see it was painted "very gooshey".  About the only detail was the seeds; other than that, I used a #8 flat brush and shmooshed the paint around thickly, thanks to Liquin.  Well, I had to rush -- rain was moving in fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment