Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sunset - 6/16/10

"Sunset - 6/16/20" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas panel -- 8x10" -- Margie Guyot

I painted this down at Rex Beach, south of Norwood.  Nobody else on the beach (which is the usual case).  It's wonderful here!  Felt like a millionaire -- like it was my private, personal beach!


But there was no time for dithering!  I'm always careful to park in the parking lot -- not in the turnaround place, as it looks like a good spot to get stuck in the sand.  Seems so rude to park there, even if nobody else is around.  And I don't have a cell phone, so if I got stuck, that would be a major hassle.  

There were very large dog tracks in the sand.  Or at least I hoped they were dog tracks and not coyote tracks.  Large, ravenous coyotes.  But one has to think positively!  Can't wimp out!

The sun was sinking fast.  I'd left most of my gear back at the car, only carrying the Soltek easel, my turpentine, paper towels and a canvas panel.  Set up the easel and realized my palette wasn't very full of "the essentials", especially white paint.  Wondered if I'd have enough to paint this, but didn't want to walk all the way back to the car.


Sometimes I think paintings turn out better if you paint them fast as possible, anyway.  Use a big brush.  Go for the main shapes.  Small canvases are good, too.  And thank goodness the bugs left me alone!  Or, at least I was so interested in what I was doing, I didn't notice any mosquitoes.


How does one paint a brilliant sun?  It's impossible to look at.  I had to look to the side, as it was absolutely blinding.  White with a touch of yellow is about the brightest, most intense tone I could use.  All the other colors had to be related to that, to make the sun appear glowing. 


Ah, I wish I could let you hear the tree frogs in this post!  They were almost deafening as I walked back to the car. Wonderful little frogs -- and I never see them.  May they prosper and multiply!

No comments:

Post a Comment