Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Blue Bowl

"Blue Bowl" -- oil on canvas -- 30x40" -- Margie Guyot


I'd meant to set up a sprawling, multi-colored summer party themed still life.  But when I went into the studio, I was struck by the blue shadow cast by the bowl.  I threw down this great, vintage tablecloth and loved the way the folds landed!  Why not just paint this?  The party one can be next.


Drawing in my still lifes is always the hardest part.  Lots of wipe-outs.  I always use a view-finder and am constantly comparing the sizes of things.  For instance, I measured the orange in front and noted how the ones in back compared in size.  The orange was like the "standard unit of measure".  

Another thing I always do, soon as possible, is to figure out where the center of the painting is -- what object (if any) falls right in the center.  This is essential when drawing in the composition.  Before I'd figured out this trick (and before I used a viewfinder), sometimes half the composition would be running off the canvas.


Love the old tablecloths!  Can hardly wait to start the next painting....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Margie,

    I met you at the JRAC Artist Gathering last week then came upon your blog. LOVE your work and your commentary. Hope to see you at other plein air activities. Margaret

    ReplyDelete