Saturday, February 11, 2012

"Mardi Gras Pumpkin"

"Mardi Gras Pumpkin" -- oil on canvas 16x20" -- Margie Guyot


My friend, Pete Peterson, gave me this pumpkin a few weeks ago.  He's bought it in a farm stand in Traverse City.  Neither of us knows what variety it is.  It's one of the strangest-looking pumpkins I've seen!  I'm struggling to learn to use Photoshop Elements and I don't think I've adjusted the color quite right in this photo.  Or it could be the monitor, but anyway --- you can get some idea of the painting.

I liked the bits of peach and purply-mauve tones in the pumpkin.  I loved all the folds and netting.  It seemed to need something "regal-looking" to sit on for a painting.  This is an old, paisley scarf I'd picked up somewhere.  Some of the golds and mauves were echoed in the pumpkin's maze of netting. 

I'll save the seeds and will try to grow more this summer.  If the doggone deer will allow it!

No comments:

Post a Comment