Monday, March 7, 2011

More Raspberry Waltz Cupcakes



"Raspberry Waltz # 4" -- oil on canvas 6x6" -- Margie Guyot

At the time of this posting, there must be some kind of glitch with Blogger.  It wanted to underline some of the text (above) and post it in blue.  I've tried several times to correct it, but it's "stuck".  Will see if I can fix it tomorrow.

Obviously, "Raspberry Waltz" is a favorite one I love painting.  I'd painted a series of 3 of this variety last month, when the baker used finely-chopped almonds.  This most recent batch had thin-sliced almonds.  I didn't think I'd like them, but I changed my mind.  I think they're more interesting to paint than the previous variety, with the itty-bitty fragments of almonds.  I'm not a big fan of painting little sprinkles -- the paint is always very wet and gooey by the time I go to add tiny dots, and it's kind of maddening.

Some painters might find it tedious to paint cupcakes, but I'm surprised to find that they're rather enjoyable.  Over the month or so I've been painting them, the frosting swirls no longer throw me into some kind of panic.  Each cupcake has a different look, a different side to it.  Almost like painting a portrait from different angles.  Amazingly, these cupcakes, from Simplycupcakes in Traverse City, Michigan, hold up very well.

I do plan on starting a large still life soon, however.  I'm thinking of setting up a party scene, with a vintage tablecloth, Depression glass dishes, flowers, and of course cupcakes....






No comments:

Post a Comment