Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunset - Rex Beach 10/01/10

"Sunset - Rex Beach 10/01/10" -- plein air field study -- oil on birch panel 8x10" -- Margie Guyot

Rain, rain and more rain!  It stopped for a few hours at the end of the day, so I took a chance and went back to Rex Beach to try to do another field study.  I'd finally run out of canvas panels, so used a birch panel, heavily shellacked, my friend Caesar Citraro gave me.  Wow -- a friend with a table saw -- who's not afraid to USE it!  Worth his weight in gold!

I really enjoy painting on birch panels.  Unlike canvas, they are nice and smooth, allowing the oil paint to goosh out freely.  I'd paint on nothing else if I could.

The entire sky was filled with dark rain clouds, with the exception of this thin wedge of gold to the north.  Right as I finished painting, the rain started again.  Chilly rain, too!   

No comments:

Post a Comment