Saturday, August 28, 2010

Corn

"Corn" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas -- 24x12" -- Margie Guyot

I'd been looking at this cornfield near my house for the past couple weeks, hoping to find time to paint it.  The deer and raccoons have been ravaging the outer edges.  In reality, there are ears with chunks missing, ears hanging and entire stalks ripped out.  I "prettied it up" for the painting. 

And talk about a hellish, mish-mash of green to try to make sense out of!  Oy vey!  Didn't know if I could pull this one off, but hey -- nothing ventured, nothing gained! 

What I loved most about this scene was the interesting patterns on the ground, cast by the stalks and leaves.

And speaking of leaves: the wind was blowing them around, making it as difficult to try to paint as trying to paint a barnyard of crazy chickens!  I couldn't really tell you how I figured out how to get this picture painted!  Felt like I was treading on "new ground".  But I think it worked.

The wind blew my umbrella off twice.  But no bumblebee stung me this time -- I had the sense to wear LONG pants.  So maybe tomorrow I'll return to my neighbor's garden and paint their green cabbage (site of the infamous bumblebee sting of a few days ago).

No comments:

Post a Comment