Saturday, May 29, 2010

Love Shack

"Love Shack" -- plein air field study -- oil on canvas panel -- Margie Guyot

I painted this yesterday afternoon over in back of The Cycling Salamander, an art gallery on US 31, south of Charlevoix. Rebecca Glotfelty, the owner, let me have the roam of the place. And what a great place it is: rolling hills, flowers, a little pond, fruit trees -- all perfumed by the autumn olive shrubs that are in bloom.

When looking for a spot to paint, I walk around with my little plastic viewfinder, framing potential views. Clyde Aspevig taught me to use a view finder back in 1987. I use it faithfully.

Rebecca's got this little building out back, next to a pond. I call it the "Love Shack". I loved the way the shadow fell across the side. And the green and red combination of paint. Rebecca's got quite a knack for choosing paint colors.

And I always love to show what's going on with window reflections. Sometimes you can see through the windows; sometimes you just see what they're reflecting.

There was the loveliest willow tree next to the building. It had some hanging branches that I couldn't resist throwing in the painting.

And, it being spring in Michigan, there were loads of hungry mosquitoes bedeviling me. Bullfrogs croaked. Birdies sang. Gentle breezes. Sunny skies. Ah, it was grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment